WordPress has two pre-defined taxonomies: Categories and Tags. WordPress categories and tags are a way to add an organizational structure to WordPress posts.
Both the taxonomies are used to group the content into different sections. A website has a large variety of content, so categories and tags are very helpful to organize them. Some of the examples that we can create as a category on news sites are National, International, Sports, Health, and Politics, etc.
In this blog post, we are going to share everything about the category. In a WordPress default installation, the default category is Uncategorized. A post can be assigned to more than one category also.
Adding a new category
There are two ways to add a new category from the WordPress dashboard. You can create a category while writing the post or you can create the category first from the Posts section on admin menus. Follow the below steps to add categories directly,
- Go to Admin Dashboard
- Go to Posts > Categories
- Write the name of the category
- You can edit the slug category if you want to change it
- If you want to make this category as a child category, select the parent category from the parent section, otherwise leave it.
- You can add some description of the category
- Click on Add New Category
- Now, the new category has been added successfully.
You can easily add the categories while writing posts. Follow the below steps to add categories while adding posts,
- Go to Admin Dashboard.
- Go to Posts > Add New.
- Enter the title of the post.
- Write the content in the content box.
- The set featured image.
- Click on Add New Category on the Category section on the right side.
- Enter the name of the category.
- You can make this category a child category after selecting the parent category below.
- Click enter to save the category.
- New Post with the new category is successfully added.
Edit WordPress Categories
The editing category is easy for WordPress. You can go to Posts > Categories and hover your mouse to the category you want to edit and click on the Edit option. You can edit name, slug, and add remove parent categories and descriptions.
From the edit section, you can also delete the category. Deleting the category will not delete the post assigned to this category but the post will be moved to the default categories. You can change the default categories from the Settings > Writing and select the default category from Default Post Category.
The above-mentioned steps and video tutorials help you to make, edit and delete categories in WordPress. Hope this blog post is very helpful for you. If you have any feedback or suggestion, please comment on us in the below comment section.